When planning your dream kitchen remodel, it’s easy to get ahead of yourself. After all, the sky’s the limit, and who’s to stop you from living your best life?
Sure, it’s easy to repaint the walls or get some new furniture, but larger, more in-depth jobs can become exceedingly challenging. If you aren’t extremely careful, you could end up getting in way over your head.
Even with a plethora of step-by-step guides and how-to videos, the “Do-It-Yourself” mentality can actually end up being a money pit if you get overambitious.
At Schuler Service, we’ve completed our fair share of professional remodeling projects in an affordable and timely manner, and we can attest that it’s almost always a wiser investment to trust the professionals when it comes to these matters.
The Downside to DIY
While some DIYers may have honed their skills over time through vocational training or work experience, many of them more closely align with hobbyists.
Don’t get us wrong, any home maintenance, repair, or renovation skills are definitely valuable regardless of how you acquire them, but making even minor mistakes can damage your home, be unsafe, or even get you in legal trouble if permits are required.
Before you decide to tackle a home renovation project entirely on your own, here are a few risk factors to consider:
- You May Lose Money: Nobody likes to hear it, but the reality is that while you may be saving in upfront labor costs when you tackle your own kitchen remodeling project, you could also be racking up future costs without realizing it. Failing to properly install electricity, plumbing, and other essentials can not only cost you more money than utility costs in the long-run, but your unique pipe-fitting or wiring job could even result in a leak or short-circuit sometime in the future, causing you to fork over more money to undo any accidental damage.
- You May Jeopardize Your Health: Many homes, especially older homes, may contain asbestos in the drywall, flooring, or ceiling. This outdated material was determined by the EPA to be hazardous in the mid-1970s, yet still, many older buildings may still contain some asbestos-related materials. Asbestos can cause respiratory illnesses over time, and it may result in shortness of breath, chest tightness or pain, and a persistent, dry cough. As a result, asbestos abatement should always be handled by an experienced professional.
- It May Be Time-Consuming: Correctly performing a DIY kitchen remodeling project will likely take up a lot of our personal time. Depending on the depth of your project you could be looking at weeks-to-months of work. Before deciding to take on a DIY kitchen renovation, be sure to consider what you could be giving up. If you work a full-time job and value your downtime, or if you enjoy spending your free time with family and friends, be aware that a home remodeling project will take up a considerable amount of this time.
- You Can’t Plan For Everything: Sure, cosmetic upgrades like cabinet refinishing, adding a backsplash, or replacing lighting or faucet fixtures are simple enough, However, if you’re changing the layout of your kitchen, making structural changes, or planning on running new ventilation, an experienced professional can better plan for potential issues. In the same vein, getting hit with unexpected rot or structural issues after you begin the work can derail an entire project if not quickly addressed by someone who knows exactly what they’re doing.
The Pros of Going With the Pros
When you hire professional service for your kitchen remodelling project, you may be spending a little money up front, but that decision will actually pay you dividends in the future, since you’re also paying for experience, insight, and expertise.
Check out these benefits to going with Schuler for your next renovation project:
- Reliable Results: Many DIY hopefuls think that with enough time and dedication, they can make their vision a reality. While this may be the case for some talented individuals, the truth is that in many cases, enthusiasm can’t make up for skill. If you’ve never attempted any type of remodeling project before, it’s almost always a smarter decision to trust a professional to make your kitchen dreams come true.
- You’ll Know Your Job Will Get Done: When you decide to start a new DIY project, your momentum can quickly screech to a halt when things become truly challenging. Before deciding to embark on a DIY journey, think about how enthusiastic you’ll be after the fun part is over. If you have any second-thoughts, going with Schuler is a better option.
- Access to Professional Resources: While you may be able to count on a few friends or family members to help out here and there by paying them off with some pizza and a case of beer, untrained hands aren’t always as diligent as professionally contracted ones. When you hire Schuler Service to oversee your kitchen remodeling project, you can rest assured that you’ll be dealing with much less stress and aggravation than may otherwise from a DIY job.
For any and all your home renovation or remodeling needs, be sure to consider Schuler Service. To learn more about what the work we do and how well we do it, click here! We look forward to assisting you in the future!